Click here for Introduction to:
Disabled Children – over 26
Proof of Disability Forms
Blue Cross Group Employer Administrative Manual Page 16
Check our Site Map under Insurance Companies and then by their Administrative Page.
- Handicapped Child Continuation of Medical Coverage
- Handicapped Child Attending Physical Statement
Email us for CA Proof of Disability Forms, if you can’t get them from your HR Department or Individual Agent
Insurance Company Policy Provisions
Unmarried disabled offspring over age 23, if incapable of self-support due to a continuous physical or mental disability that began before age 23. This child may remain an enrolled dependent unless the disability ends. To verify a disabled child’s status check out these forms: Empire Blue Form
…• Dependent children under age 19 (or age 25 if they are full-time students).
• Dependent children of any age who are permanently disabled, and who were continuously enrolled in the District’s plans before age 19.
LAUSD _– Eligible Dependents Include
Disabled child age 19 or older-You may be required by the plan administrator(s) to provide a copy of the guardianship papers indicating that the child is dependent upon you for support, and provide proof of the child’s disability. To be eligible for this coverage, the child must have been enrolled for coverage before age 19. Coverage may continue as long as you remain an eligible employee or retiree, and your disabled dependent meets the plan’s eligibility requirements. (LAUSD Website)
Coverage for a disabled child may continue past age 18 if your health plan determines that your child became disabled before the limiting age (check with your health plan to determine the limiting age). LA County Employees Page 4
Disabled over-age dependent children
If a disabled child who is covered under your Blue Shield plan reaches the maximum age limit specified in your Group Health Service Contract, Evidence of Coverage or Certificate of Insurance, coverage may continue if the child meets both of the following criteria. He or she is:
• Incapable of self-sustaining employment because of a mental or physical handicap, and
• Unmarried and dependent on the employee for economic support.
The child’s primary physician must submit to Blue Shield a written certification of the disability at all of the following times:
• Thirty-one days before the child reaches the maximum age limit, and
• Six months after the child’s coverage would have ended, and then annually thereafter.
In addition, the employee must submit a Declaration of Disability for Over-Age Dependent Children (see page A.5).
Ca Insurance Code 10277, my daughter does qualify for coverage to be reassessed in one year.
I just have a question about this insurance code 10277. I have insurance thru a large group plan and my daughter was diagnosed before age 26 and meets the criteria for disabled dependent. They are denying her saying they are only under fed rules and that she needed to be ill before age 19.
Does the employer qualify as being out of state? employers.healthreformquotes.com
Still have Questions? Ask and we will research and reply
InsuBuy International Medical Coverage – Instant Quotes & Enrollment
Click here for
complementary Long Term Care Proposal
Is your Family Protected with Life Insurance? Click here for Instant Quote
Related Pages in Dependent Disability Section
- Excerpts of law on disabled children-staying on parents policy
- Financial Support mandated of adult disabled child – SSI – SSDI
- Rules from Insurance Companies on coverage for disabled children
- Text of Law – Mandating coverage for disabled children